Boekgegevens
Titel: First English reading book: Engelsch leesboek voor instituten, gymnasiën en hoogere burgerscholen: met Nederlandsche woordenlijst
Auteur: Herrig, Ludwig
Uitgave: Arnhem: J. Voltelen, 1869 *
Auteursrechten: Zie auteursrechten
Citeerinstructie: Bijzondere Collecties van de Universiteit van Amsterdam, UBM: IWO 513 H 21
URL: https://schoolmuseum.uba.uva.nl/bookid/LCSM_204683
Onderwerp: Taal- en letterkunde naar afzonderlijke talen: Engelse taalkunde
Trefwoord: Leesvaardigheid, Engels, Leermiddelen (vorm)
* jaar van uitgave niet op de gebruikelijke wijze verkregen, mogelijk betreft het een schatting
Bekijk als:      
Scan: Afbeeldinggrootte:
   First English reading book: Engelsch leesboek voor instituten, gymnasiën en hoogere burgerscholen: met Nederlandsche woordenlijst
Vorige scan Volgende scanScanned page
39
narvon now stands before the conquest of
Wales by Edward I., towards the close of
the thirteenth century, — although it is
not improbable that the inhabitants of the
ancient Segontium which appears to have
been then deserted and in ruins, may have
before that date transferred themselves to
this new station. But it may at any rate
be assumed that the town or village, if
there already was anything of the kind, was
extremely insignificant.
As has happened in many other cases,
the present town of Cairnarvon has been
principally called into existence by the
erection of the fortress around which it
stands. Casmarvon Castle was erected by
Edward I., immediately after the subjection
of the principality. The building could
scarcely have been begun before the year
1283, and the common tradition is, that it
was finished early in the following year.
From some ancient documents, however, it
appears that the work occupied a space of
twelve years from its commencement to its
termination, — a much more probable ac-
count. The castle is said to (lave been
raised at the cost of the chieftains of the
neighbourhood, whom it was intended to
overawe and keep in subjection; and, with
the like tyrannical policy, the stern con-
queror made the peasantry be driven in
herds to the spot, and compelled to labour
in rearing the pile which was to be at once
the monument of the subjuption of their
country, and one of the chief strongholds
of the foreign dominion under which they
had fallen. The name of the architect, or
mastermason, as the designation was in
those times, is stated to have been Henry
Ellerton.
What appears to have given rise to the
improbable tradition of the building of
Cajrnarvon Castle having been completed
in one year is the fact, as to which, we
believe, all the authorities are agreed, that
Edward's son, who afterwards became Ed-
ward H., was born here on the 25th of
April, 1284. It is told that Edward, in the
persuasion that the opposition of his new
subjects would probably be most easily and
effectually overcome by humouring their
national prejudices, caused it to be announ-
ced to an assembly of their principal men
that he intended to give them a native of
their own country for then' prince; on
which, as he anticipated, they expressed
their gratitude in warm terms, and declar-
ed their readiness to yield obedience to the
sovereign so appointed. Having received
their assurances to this effect, Edward then
produced his newly-born son, and declared
him Prince of Wales. It is to be observed
that Edward had at this time an elder son,
Alphonso, who, had he lived, would of
course have inherited the crown of Eng-
land; so that the arrangement now made
does not appear to have originally contem-
plated the union and incorporation of the
two countries. Alphonso, however, died a
few years after, when the Prince of Wales
became the heir apparent of the English
throne. Since this period the eldest son
of the King of England has always borne
the title of the Prince of Wales from his
birth.
A small apartment, measuring only about
twelve feet by eight, is still shown at Caer-
narvon Castle as that in which Edward II.
first saw the light. It is in what is called
the Eagle Tower, and can only be entered
by a door raised high above the ground,
and the ascent to which is over a draw-
bridge. There is a fire-place in the room,
but it must have been in its best days a
dark and comfortless chamber, and it is
painful to suppose that the excellent Elea-
nor of Castile should at such a time have
been limited to the accommodations of so
miserable an abode. If it was deemed ne-
cessary, for reasons of state policy, that
she should be conveyed to Wales when
about to give birth to her child, her ba-
nishment to a strange, hostile, and half
savage land, little needed to have had its
severities aggravated by imprisonment in
such a dungeon. It ought to be added,
however, that, notwithstanding the tradition
of the place, there is much reason to doubt
if the apartment in question was really that
inhabited on this occasion by Queen Elea-
nor. It is, perhaps, more probable that
she occupied the central room of the tower,
which is large and commodious, and to
which this may be regarded as merely a
closet.
The vast pile of Ga?rnarvon Castle stands
on an elevated and rocky site in the north-
west quarter of the town overlooking the
Menai Strait on the one hand, and with
Snowdon and the other mountains of that
range fronting it at no great distance on
the other. It is nearly surrounded by the
sea on three of its sides, and a moat has,
in former times, been drawn round the
fourth. Tho whole is surrounded by a wall,
defended at intervals by round towers. The
area inclosed within this fortification is in
shape an irregular oblong, and is of great
extent. It was formerly divided into two
courts, — the outer and inner; but, al-
though the wall itself is still tolerably en-
tire, the buildings in the interior are now