Boekgegevens
Titel: First English reading book: Engelsch leesboek voor instituten, gymnasiën en hoogere burgerscholen: met Nederlandsche woordenlijst
Auteur: Herrig, Ludwig
Uitgave: Arnhem: J. Voltelen, 1869 *
Auteursrechten: Zie auteursrechten
Citeerinstructie: Bijzondere Collecties van de Universiteit van Amsterdam, UBM: IWO 513 H 21
URL: https://schoolmuseum.uba.uva.nl/bookid/LCSM_204683
Onderwerp: Taal- en letterkunde naar afzonderlijke talen: Engelse taalkunde
Trefwoord: Leesvaardigheid, Engels, Leermiddelen (vorm)
* jaar van uitgave niet op de gebruikelijke wijze verkregen, mogelijk betreft het een schatting
Bekijk als:      
Scan: Afbeeldinggrootte:
   First English reading book: Engelsch leesboek voor instituten, gymnasiën en hoogere burgerscholen: met Nederlandsche woordenlijst
Vorige scan Volgende scanScanned page
•161
hither with their oblations during more than
three centuries, hoping to obtain, through
his merits, forgiveness of their sins. To
the north-east of the cathedral is St. Au-
gustine's College, formerly a monastery, but
now converted into a diocesan college, for
the education of theological students. It is
an extremely handsome structure, and has
recently been repaired and enlarged in a
style corresponding with its former grandeur.
(G. Measom.)
125. RAMSGATE.
This town was originally built in a hol-
low formed by a depression of the chalk
cliffs; but since the construction of its fine
pier, and its great popularity as a water-
ing-place, the cliffs on either side have been
covered with terraces, squares, crescents,
and rows of houses, that furnish ample ac-
commodation for all classes of visitors, from
the luxurious millionaire to the humble
tradesman. The sands are excellent for
bathing, and are the favourite resort, also,
of a large portion of the visitors during
the summer. The chief glory of Ramsgate,
however, is its splendid harbour formed by
two piers, that on the east side 2000 feet,
and the western 1550 feet long, leaving an
opening 200 feet wide, and enclosing a
water area of forty-eight acres, divided into
an inner and outer harbour, the former en-
closed by flood-gates and provided with a
commodious graving-dock, the latter drying
nearly to its entrance at low water. At the
end of the western pier is a lighthouse,
where, during the night, a light is exhibited
when the tide permits the entrance of ves-
sels. The piers are built of granite and
Purbeck stone, rising fifteen feet above
high-water mark, and are twenty-six feet
broad at the top; furnishing a beautiful and
airy promenade to the inhabitants and vi-
sitors. The harbour-master has a handsome
residence close to the gates at the eastern
entrance, the western pier being approach-
ed by the wall dividing the two basins, as
well as from the cliff above by a staircase,
familiarly known as Jacob's-ladder. The
port is accessible to vessels not exceeding
400 tons burden within two hours of high
water, and, owing to its safety, is annually
'visited by about 1500 ships; besides which,
it enjoys a small trade with Holland and
the Baltic, and a considerable coasting trade.
Its marine population, too, are extensively
engaged in fishing and going to the aid of
vessels in distress on the Goodwin Sands,
directly opposite, at a distance of five or
six miles. (G. Measom.)
First Engl. Reading Book.
126. PORTSMOUTH.
Portsmouth is seated at the south-west
corner of the Isle of Portsea, which is si-
tuated between Chichester Bay and Ports-
mouth Harbour, where the southern shore
of England is remarkably broken up by
bays and inlets.
The magnificent harbour, capable of con-
taining the largest fleet that ever England
could produce, is an inlet of the sea, nar-
row at the entrance, widening northwards.
Many of the largest ships are laid up here
'in ordinary;' it is the chief rendezvous for
the grand Channel fleet.
Portsmouth was a port of much note six
or eight centuries ago; and by the end of
the eighteenth century it was a great naval
station. Since that time it has continued
to be the centre of a vast system of offens-
ive and defensive arrangements. Here
everything looks, and breathes, and smells
of soldiers, and sailors, and dockmon, the
three classes who rule the state of society
there. Portsmouth is a regular fortified
town, with ramparts^ bastions, and ravelins
on aU sides of it, so that we cannot enter
or quit it without passing within range of
numerous cannon-shot.
From the Saluting Platform, by the
Steam-packet pier, all round Portsmouth,
the fortifications are open to us, forming a
most agreeable and novel promenade, on a
raised earthern terrace, elevated above the
streets, with a breastwork four or five feet
higher, and slopes of green sward. The
whole is kept in perfect order, and at dif-
ferent points are barracks for the military,
who guard the ramparts and defend the
town.
The Dockyard forms a considerable town
by itself. Here every stage of shipbuilding
and repairing, storing and victualling, are
carried on upon the grandest scale, and by
the most improved and admirable methods.
Here we see mast houses, rigging houses,
sail lofts, rope houses, carvers' shops, mould
lofts, sawpits, joiners' shops, foundries, boat
houses, the various block machinery, and a
great deal more than we can remember or
describe. The whole dockyard covers more
than 1000 acres, and every acre is most im-
portantly appropriated.
No visitor should quit Portsmouth with-
out going to see the Victory, in which Nel-
son fell. Portsmouth fondly and proudly
cherishes this ship, which is preserved with
the utmost care.
Spithead, at the entrance to Portsmouth
Harbour, is a celebrated anchorage for ships
of war equipped for sea. Here have re-
11