Boekgegevens
Titel: First English reading book: Engelsch leesboek voor instituten, gymnasiën en hoogere burgerscholen: met Nederlandsche woordenlijst
Auteur: Herrig, Ludwig
Uitgave: Arnhem: J. Voltelen, 1869 *
Auteursrechten: Zie auteursrechten
Citeerinstructie: Bijzondere Collecties van de Universiteit van Amsterdam, UBM: IWO 513 H 21
URL: https://schoolmuseum.uba.uva.nl/bookid/LCSM_204683
Onderwerp: Taal- en letterkunde naar afzonderlijke talen: Engelse taalkunde
Trefwoord: Leesvaardigheid, Engels, Leermiddelen (vorm)
* jaar van uitgave niet op de gebruikelijke wijze verkregen, mogelijk betreft het een schatting
Bekijk als:      
Scan: Afbeeldinggrootte:
   First English reading book: Engelsch leesboek voor instituten, gymnasiën en hoogere burgerscholen: met Nederlandsche woordenlijst
Vorige scan Volgende scanScanned page
IGO
exer themselves in putting both the
building and the collections into a greatly
improved condition.
The Observatory. — This useful and
elegant building was erected at the expense
of 30,000 Z.., defrayed by the trustees of
Dr. Radcliffe. It is situated at the extreme
end of the northern suburb of the city, on
a very appropriate site, with attached
grounds, which were presented to the Uni-
versity by the Duke of Marlborough. The
central elevation of the edifice is upwards
of iOO feet, and its third story consists of
an octangular tower, which affords a ge-
neral representation of the Temple of the
Winds at Athens, with sculptured represent-
ations of the eight winds on the entabla-
ture, and a ponderous earth-coloured globe
at (he top, supported by figures of Her-
cules and Atlas. The whole sti'ucture com-
prises a dwelling-house for the Observer,
apartments for observation, for an Assistant
Observer, and for lectures, and is supplied
with a valuable set of astronomical instru-
ments, besides a library. The building
was completed in 1786 by Mr. Wyatt.
Astronomical observations are daily made
at this Observatory when the weather per-
mits; and a fair and full copy of the re-
gisters is annually deposited in the library
of the Royal Society in London, in the
Radcliife Library, and in the Observatory
itself, in order that they may be accessible
to men of science for improving the theory
of astronomy.
m. CANTERBURY.
Canterbury is seated in a fertile valley
about two miles wide, surrounded by hills
of a moderate height, which give rise to se-
veral springs of fine water; besides which,
the river Stour runs through it, dividing
into many channels that form numerous is-
lands, and turn several mills, some of which
boast a high antiquity. The town was ori-
ginally comprised within fortifications of an
irregular octagonal shape, the remains of
which still exist, and had four main streets
branching from the centre, terminated by
gales; but its boundaries have subsequent-
ly been much extended; and it now takes
in extensive suburbs, the largest of which
are eastward, on the Deal and Dover roads.
The High-street, which is the principal
avenue, upwards of half a mile long, is lin-
ed with well-built houses, and has near its
centre a fine modern-built Guildhall.
The great glory, however, of the good
city of Canterbury is its cathedral, which
forms a conspicuous object from every
quarter of approach. The cathedral pre-
cincts comprise an area three-quarters of a
mile in circuit, and the principal entrance
is through Christchurch-gate, erected early
in the sixteenth century, which exhibits a
beautiful highly ornamented specimen of
later Enghsh architecture, with two octa-
gonal embattled towers flanking the arch-
way. The present structure occupies the
site of an older one, founded by St. Au-
gustine in connexion with the ancient mo-
nastery of Christchurcb, established by the
pious munificence of Ethelbert, King of
Kent, after his conversion to Christianity,
at the close of the sixth century; and its
oldest part dates from 1184, about four-
teen years after Becket's murder. The
nave, cloisters, and chapter-houses, however,
are at least two centuries older, and were
erected during the most brilliant period of
pointed church-architecture. The present
structure is of the usual cruciform shape,
with a semicircular east end, and 530 feet
long from east to west, and 370 feet from
north to south, at the intersection of the
transepts: the length of the choir is 178
feet, being the largest in the kingdom, and
that of the nave 214 feet; while the height
of the vaulted roof is 80 feet, and that of
the Bell-Harry, or Great Tower (one of
the purest and most beautiful specimens of
the pointed style in England), 235 feet.
The nave is chiefly in the early English
style, intermixed with Norman, which pre-
vails also in the east transept; but the choir
is wholly of pointed Enghsh architecture.
The Archbishop's throne and the prebendal
stalls are strikingly elegant; and a new
stone altar has recently been erected, from
designs made to correspond with the rest
of the building. Beneath the church, under
its whole extent, likewise, is a beautiful
crypt (the largest in England), divided into
two parts corresponding with those of the
cathedral, and having a vaulted roof sup-
ported on pillars, which never fails to call
forth the admiration of its visitors. The
interior of the church, now entirely restor-
ed, is not only a work of almost matchless
beauty itself, but abounds also with objects
of remarkable historical interest. First of
all, there is a spot pointed out on the north
side of the western transept, where Becket
was supposed to have been assassinated:
but the only traces of his martyr-shrine arc
to be found in the marks on the pavement,
said to have been made by the knees of
tho multitudinous worshippers, who (locked