Boekgegevens
Titel: First English reading book: Engelsch leesboek voor instituten, gymnasiën en hoogere burgerscholen: met Nederlandsche woordenlijst
Auteur: Herrig, Ludwig
Uitgave: Arnhem: J. Voltelen, 1869 *
Auteursrechten: Zie auteursrechten
Citeerinstructie: Bijzondere Collecties van de Universiteit van Amsterdam, UBM: IWO 513 H 21
URL: https://schoolmuseum.uba.uva.nl/bookid/LCSM_204683
Onderwerp: Taal- en letterkunde naar afzonderlijke talen: Engelse taalkunde
Trefwoord: Leesvaardigheid, Engels, Leermiddelen (vorm)
* jaar van uitgave niet op de gebruikelijke wijze verkregen, mogelijk betreft het een schatting
Bekijk als:      
Scan: Afbeeldinggrootte:
   First English reading book: Engelsch leesboek voor instituten, gymnasiën en hoogere burgerscholen: met Nederlandsche woordenlijst
Vorige scan Volgende scanScanned page
•159
University who have taken a degree are
admitted to study in the hbrary; but no
books are allowed to be taken from it.
The Theatre. — This fine edifice, in
which the principal public meetings of the
University are held, was built at the charge
of Archbishop Selden, who besides left a
fund of 2000 L. to keep it in repair. It
was designed and completed in five years
by one of the professors. Sir Christopher
Wren, who, 'from being the most profound
mathematician of his age, became its first
architect; and who, in the plan and exe-
cution of this structure, gave evidence of
those talents in the latter capacity, which
afterwards found such ample scope in the
metropohs. The ground-plan of this thea-
tre is taken from that of Marcellus at Rome;
and, by an ingenious disposition of its
parts, the architect has contrived to render
it capable of containing nearly 4000 per-
sons, although its dimensions, 80 feet by
70, seem altogether inadequate for such a
number. The roof rests entirely upon the
side walls, without any central support.
In consequence of the roof being in danger
of falling, a new one was substituted in
1802. In imitation of the ancient theatres,
the walls of which were too far apart to
admit of a roof, the ceiling has the appear-
ance of a painted canvass strained over
gilt cordage. The exterior elevation, on
the side opposite the Divinity School, is
adorned with columns of the Corinthian
order, and statues, in niches, ofthe founder
and the Duke of Ormond.
Clarendon Printing-house. — This
building was erected in 1711, with the pro-
fits arising from the sale of the Earl of
Clarendon's 'History of the Rebellion,' the
copyright of which was presented to the
University by his Lordship's son. Van-
burgh was the architect, and the style is
massive, as in all his works. The struc-
ture is two stories high, with a Doric por-
tico in front, and a statute of the noble
author over the front entrance. Besides
the offices required for printing, there is a
handsome apartment where the Heads of
Colleges and the 'Delegates of the Press'
hold their meetings. The printing business
of the University was before the erection
of this building, carried on in a large room
at the top of the theatre, the under part
of which is still used as a warehouse for
books printed at the Clarendon Press. A
new University printing-office has, within
these few years, been built at the back of
the Observatory. It is a fine building of
the Corinthian order, the press-room in
which, on the ground floor, is the largest
in the kingdom, it being 200 feet long
and 28 wide.
Radcliffe Library. — This struc-
ture is one of the most imposing archi-
tectural ornaments of Oxford. It was
founded by Dr. Radcliffe, a distinguished
physician of the reigns of King William
and Queen Anne, who bequeathed 4000 L.
for the erection of the building, 100 L. per
annum for the purchase of books, and 150 L.
per annum for the librarian. The building
was designed and executed, between the
years 1737 and 1749, by Gibbs of Aber-
deen; and some of the best artists of the
time were employed on its interior embel-
lishments. On the exterior, a rustic base-
ment, hi the form of a double octagon,
supports a cylindrical structure, adorned
with three-quarter Corinthian colums, be-
tween which are windows and niches alter-
nately. A balustrade surmounts the enta-
blature, and the whole elevation is termi-
nated by a fine cupola, which renders the
building a striking object in every distant
view of the city. The contributions to this
library are few in comparison with those
to the Bodleian, which seems to have wholly
engrossed the munificence of the learned;
and the trustees have lately determined to
appropriate the hbrary to the reception of
books in natural history and medicine.
Ashmolean Museum. — This was the
first public institution in England for the
reception of rarities in nature and art; and,
in the infancy of the study of natural his-
tory in this country, it possessed what was
then considered a valuable and superior
collection. It owes its foundation to Elias
Ashmole, who offered to bestow on the
University all the collections in natural
history which had heed bequeathed to him
by the Tradescants, the eminent botanists
and gardeners at Lambeth, and to add to
these his own coins, manuscripts, and books,
provided the University would defray the
expense of erecting a proper building for
their reception. The offer was accepted,
and the present edifice raised under the
direction of Sir Christopher Wren. It is
admired for its just architectural propor-
tions, although the situation is unfavourable,
and the portico is nearly obscured in the
narrow passage between it and the theatre.
The contributors to this museum have been
numerous; but in the course of a century
the apartment had become much dilapidat-
ed, and the collections had sustained great
injury and decay, when the interest excited
by Paley's work on Natural Theology, and
by the physiological lectures of Professors
Kidd and Buckland, induced the trustees