Boekgegevens
Titel: First English reading book: Engelsch leesboek voor instituten, gymnasiën en hoogere burgerscholen: met Nederlandsche woordenlijst
Auteur: Herrig, Ludwig
Uitgave: Arnhem: J. Voltelen, 1869 *
Auteursrechten: Zie auteursrechten
Citeerinstructie: Bijzondere Collecties van de Universiteit van Amsterdam, UBM: IWO 513 H 21
URL: https://schoolmuseum.uba.uva.nl/bookid/LCSM_204683
Onderwerp: Taal- en letterkunde naar afzonderlijke talen: Engelse taalkunde
Trefwoord: Leesvaardigheid, Engels, Leermiddelen (vorm)
* jaar van uitgave niet op de gebruikelijke wijze verkregen, mogelijk betreft het een schatting
Bekijk als:      
Scan: Afbeeldinggrootte:
   First English reading book: Engelsch leesboek voor instituten, gymnasiën en hoogere burgerscholen: met Nederlandsche woordenlijst
Vorige scan Volgende scanScanned page
•158
date, and elected Dr. Hough for president;
and as they persisted in supporting the
object of their choice, even when the king
had changed his nomination in favour of
Parker, the Bishop of Oxford, James pro-
ceeded thither in person, and finding that
even his presence could not influence the
decision of the refractory Fellows, he ex-
pelled the whole of them, except two, from
the College. The measure produced a
strong sensation in the country; and when
afterwards the king became alarmed by the
preparations of the Prince of Orange, one
of the first measures he took, in the vain
hope of recovering the confidence of his
Protestant subjects, was to reinstate the
expelled Fellows of Magdalen. Since the
Revolution no circumstance of much interest
has occurred in the history of the Univer-
sity of Oxford. It has gone on increasing
in wealth and prosperity to the present
day; and if it be true that it has retained
traces of its origin 'in a dark age of false
and barbarous science," and has long per-
sisted in giving primary importance to ob-
solete and useless studies, to the compara-
tive exclusion of those which the improved
state of science has rendered necessary,
and which the circumstances and prospects
of the age have imperatively demanded, it
is also true that the system of education
at Oxford has undergone such important
modifications, that although the institution
cannot be said to take that important part
which it might in preceding, leading, and
directing the spirit of the age, neither can
it now be characterized as peculiarly the
stronghold of exploded prejudices and the
superstitions of ancient learning.
It now remains to mention the principal
public buildings belonging to the Univer-
sity, as distinguished from those which are
the property of particular colleges.
Schools. — Public schools wore first
erected about the commencement of the
fifteenth century, by Thomas Hokenorton,
abbot of Ouseney, and consisted of ten
apartments allotted to different branches
of education. To these a divinity school
was added in the year 1427, chiefly through
the liberality of Humphrey, Duke of Glou-
cester. The latter still remains, and affords
a curious specimen of architecture: but all
the others were demolished in the begin-
ning of the seventeenth century, when the
present schools were erected, which, with
fhe Bodleian Library, form a quadrangle
of about 170 feet in length. Over the
gateway there is a lofty tower, fantastically
arranged in compartments, exhibiting an
imitation of the five orders of classic archi-
tecture. At the upper part of this tower
there is a stone statue of James L in a
sitting posture, presenting a copy of his
own works to Fame with his right hand,
and dehvering another copy to the Univer-
sity of Oxford with his left. The whole
quadrangle is now three stories high, two
of which are used as 'schools,' in which
the public professors read their lectures in
the different sciences, and in which the
candidates for degrees undergo their exa-
mination. The moral philosophy lecture-
room contains a collection of statues, busts,
and marbles, the gift of the Countess of
Pomfret; and in an apartment on the north
side of the schools are arranged the Arun-
delian marbles, together with many other
monuments of Grecian antiquity collected
by Selden, Wheeler, and others, and pre-
sented or bequeathed to the University.
The Bodleian Library. — This h-
brary was founded by Sir Thomas Bodley,
at the close of the sixteenth century, on
the remains of one established by Hum-
phrey, Duke of Gloucester, which had been
divested of all its valuable books ^nd illu-
minated MSS. by the commissioners of
Edward VL The Library originally consist-
ed of three extensive rooms united, form-
ing the figure of a Roman H. To these
several other rooms have been added: the
first contains the valuable collection of
topographical books and manuscripts be-
queathed to the University, in 1709, by
Mr. Gough; another is appropriated to
foreign, and a third to domestic periodical
literature. Below the library there is also
an apartment, called the Auctarium, for the
reception of the choicest manuscripts, early-
printed books, &c. In an adjoining room
there is a fine collection of Oriental manu-
scripts, and beyond this arc deposited the
miscellaneous manuscripts of Archbisschop
Laud and other benefactors. This library
contains perhaps the most valuable collec-
tion of books and manuscripts in Europe,
as the donations in aid of Sir Thomas
Bodley's contribution have been exceed-
ingly liberal; it besides receives continual
increase by donations, by copies of every
work printed in this country, as well as by
books purchased from the fund left by the
founder, assisted by fees received at ma-
triculations, and by an annual payment from
all persons who have the right of admission
to the library. This library is governed
by regulations drawn up by Sir Thomas
himself, who, besides his books, left an
estate to the University, to provide suitable
salaries for the officers and for the repair
of the buildings. All the members of the