Boekgegevens
Titel: First English reading book: Engelsch leesboek voor instituten, gymnasiën en hoogere burgerscholen: met Nederlandsche woordenlijst
Auteur: Herrig, Ludwig
Uitgave: Arnhem: J. Voltelen, 1869 *
Auteursrechten: Zie auteursrechten
Citeerinstructie: Bijzondere Collecties van de Universiteit van Amsterdam, UBM: IWO 513 H 21
URL: https://schoolmuseum.uba.uva.nl/bookid/LCSM_204683
Onderwerp: Taal- en letterkunde naar afzonderlijke talen: Engelse taalkunde
Trefwoord: Leesvaardigheid, Engels, Leermiddelen (vorm)
* jaar van uitgave niet op de gebruikelijke wijze verkregen, mogelijk betreft het een schatting
Bekijk als:      
Scan: Afbeeldinggrootte:
   First English reading book: Engelsch leesboek voor instituten, gymnasiën en hoogere burgerscholen: met Nederlandsche woordenlijst
Vorige scan Volgende scanScanned page
•453
seen in the streets, which were covered
with grass, even in the market-place.'
During the civil war, in the reign of i
Charles I., Oxford was the scene of some
important transactions. The king, after
the battle of Edgehill, in October, 1642,
made himself master of the place, which
may be said to have remained his head- j
quarters until 1646, when, having previously j
delivered himself up to the Scottish army, •
at Newark, he gave orders that the town '
should be surrendered to the parliamentary :
forces. ;
The appearance of Oxford from the high
ground to the east and south-west is high- j
ly picturesque and interesting. The view ]
embraces groups of towers, domes, spires, |
pinnacles, and turrets, intermingled with '
dark masses of foliage, surrounded by rich |
meadows, intersected by many streams. '
The striking effect is not diminished, al- \
though varied, on a nearer ajiproach, j
which affords an opportunity for the num- !
. ber and magnitude of the public buildings, j
with the splendid details of their architec- '
ture, to be more distinctly observed. The |
town, with its immediate suburbs, comprises ,
an area of about three miles in circumfer- !
ence, extending a mile and a quarter from 1
east to west, and nearly as far from north
to south. The city itself is of an oval
form, and was formerly surrounded by a
wall, with bastions 150 feet distant from
each other; but of these works there are
very few existing traces. The franchise of
the city extends to a considerable distance
from the town in the north-westerly direc-
tion, and is altogether comprehended within
a circumference of about ten miles. The
Reform Bill only disturbed the old bound-
ary by extending it eastward so as to in-
clude the parish of St. Clement's and part
of Cowley parish. The increase of the
town beyond the city boundary has chiefly
been in this direction, 'one cause of which,'
says the Boundary Report, 'is, that shops
can be opened here by persons who are
not freemen of the city, but who find their
habitations sufficiently near to answer their
purpose as tradesmen.'
The approaches to Oxford from the
London road on the east, and from the
west, the north, and the south, are all
very fine, though dissimilar in effect. The
entrances from all these directions, except
the north, are over bridges. The eastern
or Magdalen Bridge is an elegant stone
.structure over the Cherwell. It is 526 feet
in length and was built in 1779, at an ex-
pense of 8000 L. The western bridge, over
the Isis, consists of three substantial arches.
On the south, at Folly Bridge, also over a
branch of the Isis, on the Abingdon road,
formerly stood a tower called 'Friar Bacon's
Study;' but this was taken down at the
recent erection of a new bridge, which cost
11,000 L. From Magdalen Bridge the High
Street extends, under different names, the
whole length of the city. This street is
generally allowed to be one of the most
striking and beautiful in Europe. On pass-
ing the bridge and proceeding up this
street, the fronts of many churches, col-
leges, and other public edifices, in combina-
tion with private houses in ancient and
modern style, are brougth into view in
gradual and beautiful succession. The
street is wide as well as long; but it has
a gentle curvature to which much of its
striking effect is owing, for at almost every
step the passenger is presented with new-
objects and fine combinations. At one
point, in particular, the whole coup d'oeil
is singularly impressive and picturesque:
this is at a broad part of the street near
the middle, where Queen's College on the
right hand and University College on the
left form the fore-ground of the scene,
while the front of All Souls, the steeple
and rich meadows of St. Mary's Church,
the modern spire of All Saints' Church,
and the old tower of St. Martin's, consti-
tute the prominent features in the distance,
and the whole presents a street-scene un-
rivalled in beauty, variety, and effect.
Some writers consider that the effect of
the view which this street affords has been
deteriorated by the erection of lofty and
elegant modern buildings in the place of
many of the humbler remains of ancient
Oxford, the Elizabethan inequalities of style
in which contributed much, by variety and
contrast, to the impressiveness ofthe scene-
After the High Street, that of St. Giles,
which leads from the north of the city to
its centre, claims the most attention. It is
irregularly built, as it consists almost ex-
clusively of private houses, erected accord-
ing to the means, the wants, or the taste
of the owners. Many of these luiildings
are large and detached from each other,
and the street, as a whole, has a highly
pleasing and retired appearance. It is more
than 2000 feet in length, and nearly 250
broad, and is planted on each side with a
row of stately elms, while, in proceeding
up or down the street, the fine vista is
arrested either by the church of St. Mary
Magdalen, which is placed in the centre of
the street's breadth at its southern termin-
ation, or by that of St. Giles, which is
similarly situated at the northern. The