Boekgegevens
Titel: First English reading book: Engelsch leesboek voor instituten, gymnasiën en hoogere burgerscholen: met Nederlandsche woordenlijst
Auteur: Herrig, Ludwig
Uitgave: Arnhem: J. Voltelen, 1869 *
Auteursrechten: Zie auteursrechten
Citeerinstructie: Bijzondere Collecties van de Universiteit van Amsterdam, UBM: IWO 513 H 21
URL: https://schoolmuseum.uba.uva.nl/bookid/LCSM_204683
Onderwerp: Taal- en letterkunde naar afzonderlijke talen: Engelse taalkunde
Trefwoord: Leesvaardigheid, Engels, Leermiddelen (vorm)
* jaar van uitgave niet op de gebruikelijke wijze verkregen, mogelijk betreft het een schatting
Bekijk als:      
Scan: Afbeeldinggrootte:
   First English reading book: Engelsch leesboek voor instituten, gymnasiën en hoogere burgerscholen: met Nederlandsche woordenlijst
Vorige scan Volgende scanScanned page
1 i3
venty-five ieet; from north to south two
hundred feet; the nave is one hundred and
one feet high; from the choir to the lan-
tern, about one hundred and forty feet;
and the heiglit of the western towers two
hundred and twenty-five feet.
Most of our kings he buried here, even
down to the time of George III. At his
decease in 1820, St. George's Chapel,
Windsor, was used for the last resting
place of royalty. You must not forget to
visit this noble abbey, if ever you visit
London.
In going to Westminster Abbey I passed
through the old gateway called Temple Bar,
where the heads of state malefactors used
to be exposed. The gate at Temple Bar
is always closed when it is known that the
reigning sovereign designs to visit the city:
the ceremony on this occassion is very im-
posing on account of the grandeur of the
procession and the crowds of people which
assemble to behold the spectacle. Before
the present gate was built, there was a
bar or barrier of posts and chains, which
separated the Strand from Fleet Street,
and which, from its vicinity to the Temple,
received the name of Temple Bar.
There is another very interesting build-
ing near Westminster Abbey, called West-
minster Hall. It was built by William H.
in 1097, and is part of a palace which he
erected on the site of one occupied by
Edward the Confessor. The ceiling is said
to be the largest in Europe unsupported
by pillars. The parliament used formerly
to meet in this hall, and it is now used
for state trials, and on some other occasions.
Close to this structure,- and communicating
with it by a passage, were the buildings
in which the parliament used to meet:
these contained a variety of aj)artments
connected by passages. In 1834, a terrible
fire burnt down a great part of these build-
ings, and new Houses of Parliament have
been erected; but it will be interesting to
describe the former buildings, in which
British eloquence once shone with the great-
est brilliancy. The interior of the House
of Lords was hung with tapestry of the
time of Oueon Elizabeth, representing tlie
defeat of the Spanish Armada, which hap-
pened in her reign. Each piece was set in
a frame of brown wood, and was surrounded
by a border consisting of portraits of the
commanders of the English fleet on that
memorable occassion. At one end of this
room stood of magnificent tlirone for the
king, whenever he visited the house iu
person. Jhe Painted Chamber was a long,
lofty room, used for the conferences be-
tween the Lords and Commons; the walls
were painted in the reign of Henry H, with
various subjects, and the remains of these
paintings might be seen in some parts of
the room. The House of Commons was
originally a chapel, founded by king Stephen,
and rebuilt by Edward III. in a style of
great beauty. This was altered by forming
an inner roof, floor, and sides. On remov-
ing the wainscotting to enlarge the house,
some years ago, the walls and roof of the
ancient chapel were seen, uncovered, and
ornamented with a profusion of gilding and
painting in beautiful preservation. The
vault, called Guy Fawkes's cellar, situated
under the House of Lords, was the old
kitchen of Edward the Confessor's palace.
Within it the gunpowder and other com-
bustibles, intended to blow up the king
and parliament, were deposited by the con-
spirators, in the reign of James L in 1G05;
and at the entrance of the vault Guy Faw-
kes was seized the night before the intend-
ed execution of his plot.
The new Houses of Parliament are much
handsomer and more commodious than the
old. This vere handsome pile of buildings
was erected under the superintendence of
Sir C. Barry; the first stone was laid on
the 27. of April 1840. The style is of richly
decorated gothic, and will be memorable
for ages, as the largest building of the
kind in the world. It covers an area of
eight acres; and has four fronts and three
principal towers, the Royal Victoria Tower,
which is 340 feet high, by 75 feet square;
the Central Tower 300 feet high, by 60
feet square; and the Clock Tower, 320 feet
high by 40 feet square. The north part
of the building is devoted to the House
of Commons and the various Committee
rooms and other offices. The House of
Lords is decorated in a most gorgeous style
with richly gilt mouldings, emblazonings of
arms, stained glass, and fine pictures of
historical subjects. There is also a stran-
ger's gallery, to which persons having or-
ders signed by members are admitted.
In this neighbourhood the Queen has an
extensive old palace called St. James's, and
another much more splendid, and far more
costly, called Buckingham Palace. This
palace, with its triumphal arch, magnificent
gates of mosaic gold, quadrangles, columns,
capitals, pediments, entablatures, and in-
ternal magnificence, is a wondrous pile.
King George said it was not 'a King's
Palace, but a Palace for Kings.'
(P. Parley.)